Writing A Noteworthy Press Release
Press releases are a great tool to get buzz going around your brand. Writing a noteworthy press release and sending it to relevant local news outlets, is an excellent way to get your business covered.
Most importantly, the information in your press release needs to be relevant right now… to your business, to the audience you are trying to reach and to the publication(s) you are submitting to.
An event that benefits the community, a grand opening of a new location or a story that shows your expertise on a subject (that is, of course, relevant now). These are all great examples of when a press release is worth considering.
As a small business, you are most likely to be covered by a local community paper or publication. If you are working together with another business or organization, be sure to include them, especially if they are well know.
When To Submit A Press Release
Important Details To Remember
- Follow the basics: who, what, when, where and why?
- Pull your audience in with interesting information
- Remember you are writing to a target audience
- Include social media accounts and contact information
- Include at least one quote
- Include relevant pictures
- Write in the third person
- Create a catchy headline
- Pitch the story, don’t just send it and hope for the best
- Assume everyone will read the entire thing
- Write more than 800 words
- Send to venues who don’t deal with your topic
- Use slang
- Use abbreviations without explaining
- Submit a press release twice
- Submit to more than one person at the same venue
- Ask questions within the release
- Send the same copy to the newspaper and radio
Sample Press Release Outline
Press releases have a specific format. The media appreciates the consistency as it makes it easier to find the information they are looking for quickly and efficiently. This is a great sample to help you get started.
Download PDF: Sample Press Release
You don’t have to go it alone! Do you need help crafting your press release? The team at JI Design is experienced in media relations. We will help you get your brand the visibility it deserves.